Tuesday 29 January 2013

UDK Block out and top down map

 Here is the level blocked out in UDK, just the floor level that the player is able to walk on in the environment. I was worrying about the level being to long, by doing this i could test how long it would take for me to walk from start to finish, if this was longer than a few minutes then i had a big problem. luckily it took me around 1 minute 20 from start to the end of the level. So maybe its just the fact that my levels core features are puzzles that was worrying me, as it depends on the player how long it takes them to solve a puzzle and move on. I could possibly cut some stuff out but I've planned it so the player has quite a bit of freedom in which way they can go, I've also tried to give the players breaks from puzzles so they can adventure and explore more... again this is up to the player how long they spend at this. But by having these breaks between puzzles it balances the level out much better instead of slow paced puzzles all the time which the player could get quite frustrated with, i want to player to be able to relax as well and take a second to breathe and collect some items to reward the player. 

Below i have drawn a player flow line (In green) over the top of the level design to show where the player would need to go, i wanted to give the player more than one path through sections of the level to make the player feel like they have more freedom in where they want to go, player choice is always nice in games.

No comments:

Post a Comment